1) Change your oil 🙂 Instead of butter try using olive oil, sesame seed oil or coconut oil for cooking. You can also get oils from fish and nuts.
2) Add some chick peas, nuts or seeds onto salads, beans to a burrito or to a soup for added protein and when choosing meats, go for the lower fat versions. Bison is a great low fat but nutrient dense meat. We can tell the difference, but our kiddos can’t 🙂
3) Try to choose FRESH fruits over canned, but frozen is okay! Canned fruits tend to have too much sugar added in the juices.
4) Choose whole grain vs whole wheat or white. Whole grain or brown rice vs white is always best. Nutrients are taken out of the white rice leaving empty calories behind.
5) Go for COLOR with your veggies! Dark green and orange would be your spinach, broccoli, carrots, asparagus and sweet potatoes. Make a colorful pizza together as a family which leads to number 6..
6) COOK with your kids to get them involved and make cooking healthy FUN! Kids love FUN and when it’s fun, they will more likely to enjoy the food with you!
These are just a few helpful tips for a healthier family this Spring! xo
If you need help learning how to clean out those cabinets, look at ingredients and learn portion control, I’d love to help! I have a few programs that have proven to be quite life changing and I am sure they can help you too! Just send me an email at email@example.com and lets chat! xo